If you are a guilty white person looking for ways to check your white privilege in the coming year, The Huffington Post has you covered. Writing for the tragically leftist rag, Jamie Grant has compiled 18 New Year’s Resolutions to Fight Racism geared exclusively for the white activist. While doing these may ease your white conscience, you will have to stop celebrating racist holidays like the 4th of July and Thanksgiving and black people reserve the right to hate you no matter what you do.
You know this is going to be fun list when the intro starts out like this:
The destruction of Black life in this country is built on white silence — on white heartlessness about Black people’s — including Black children’s — imprisonment and murder. White people turn away from the bloodshed, throw up our hands about the alleged “futility” of the current state of anti-Black violence in our communities, or obsess over minutiae in the unrelenting reports of police and vigilante killings…
Never mind the thousands of blacks that are killed by other blacks every year, the real problem is a few isolated incidences in which black law breakers where killed by white police officers either attempting to arrested them or defending their lives from them. Now that Grant has established that white people are responsible for all of the killing in the black community, here’s what she thinks white people ought to do to fix it:
(1) Stop being the first person to talk at every meeting; stop being the person we hear from the most. Listen. Listen more. Listen when you are uncomfortable.
Yeah, shut up. Your cracker-ass opinion don’t mean sh*t.
(3) Stop segregating around race and class so that the only people of color in your life are either service providers or service recipients.
Even though blacks segregate themselves and don’t enjoy the company of other races, force your way in to be the token white of a group that hates you.
(4) Stop saying — and especially stop telling your children — that “race doesn’t matter.”
The best way to achieve a colorblind society is to make a huge deal about race.
(12) Stop celebrating holidays that glorify racist history; reframe “Thanksgiving” and “Independence Day” so that white children begin to develop critical skills around the way our nation addresses (or fails to address) its history of colonialism, slavery and white supremacy.
Stop being proud of your country, heritage and history. Democracy and capitalism are racist. Start celebrating socialist holidays like Martin Luther King Day and Kwanza.
(15) Don’t expect people of color to be glad you are in their neighborhood, stores, or schools. White people often come into people of color majority spaces and make things worse…
F*ck you honky. We don’t care if you are trying to help or not. White people ruin everything.
(16) Don’t think of yourself as “doing good” or “giving back” by addressing racism; understand that you are making reparations but that you will never share the jeopardy that racism presents to your peers of color. You are benefiting from a daily racist “pass.”
You’re not doing a good deed; you owe the black community more than you could ever give.
At other points in the list the author says that school anti-bullying policies are really just another racist way that the system targets blacks. She also feels that black neighborhoods need less police, less development, and most of all: less white people.
Wow, I’m not sure this author understands how to make people sympathetic to her cause. If you want people to help, the last thing you should do is tell them how stupid and useless they are. But then again, this list is for guilty white liberals who have no problem sucking up and taking responsibility for crimes they never committed.