Cheer up Chicagoans! You soon may be known for something other your city’s enormous body count.
Anymore it’s nearly impossible to think of the Windy City without also thinking of the epidemic of murders that has been driven largely by black-on-black crime and street gangs. This image has understandably caused residents to hang their heads in shame but according to a new study, the bloodshed may soon take a backseat to another dubious honor.
Chicago is the rat capital of the USA!
And I don’t mean rats as in Democ-RATS who control the levers of power of the corrupt political machine but rather the furry, four-legged variety that sports a tail.
The study which was undertaken by the apartment search website RentHop analyzed rodent complaints and found that Chicago even surpassed New York City which has dealt with a history of rodent infestation problems.
Chicago named 'rat capital' of nation… https://t.co/JzqgQ4eml5
— DRUDGE REPORT (@DRUDGE_REPORT) July 21, 2018
Via CBS Chicago “Chicago Named The ‘Rat Capital’ Of The U.S., Study Says”:
A new study names Chicago the rat capital of the U.S.
According to a study by the apartment search service “Rent Hop,” the city received 50,963 rat complaints last year – more than any other city in the country.
New York came in a distant second place, followed by Washington, D.C., and Boston.
The study also found the number of rat complaints jumped 55% since 2014.
Logan Square, Englewood, and West Ridge topped the list for most rat complaints called in to 3-1-1.
The study claims “when comparing the number of complaints per 100,000 residents, Chicago topped the list with 1876.09 complaints per 100,000 residents.”
According to RentHop, “Chicago’s Rat Complaints Continue to Grow”:
Chicago ranks #1 as the “rat capital” in the country. The abundance of garbage and buildings in The Windy City makes it a great location for these rats to seek shelter and food for survival. The presence of these furry critters poses a threat to city dwellers due to the fact that they are capable of spreading diseases and cause allergic reactions to humans and animals.
Last year, we saw a total of 50,963 rat complaints. Compared to 2014 (32,855), the number of rat complaints in 2017 increased 55.1%. Furthermore, in the first half of 2018 (from January to June), there were already 13,753 rat complaints lodged to Chicago’s 311. We’ve collected a subset of data of 2017’s rat complaints made to Chicago’s 311 to find out more about which neighborhoods and locations have it the worst and if there have been areas with higher rat sightings over the years.
Here are the Key Findings from the Study:
- In 2017, Chicago tops the list with the most number of rat complaints compared among other cities including Boston, New York City and Washington DC (fig. 1).
- When comparing the number of complaints per 100,000 residents, Chicago topped the list with 1876.09 complaints per 100,000 residents (fig. 2).
- Logan Square, Englewood, and West Ridge are the top 3 complaint neighborhoods (fig. 3).
- Most of the neighborhoods with a higher concentration of rat complaints coincide with the neighborhoods with a higher concentration of dog poop!
- Neighborhoods in Downtown Chicago such as The Loop, Gold Coast, and River North have much fewer rat complaints than the other neighborhoods (fig. 3).
- Printers Row, Riverdale, and Oakland are the neighborhoods with the lowest volume of rat complaints (fig. 4).
- There seem to be a weak correlation between the rat complaint counts and median rents in Chicago (fig. 5).
- Top 3 rat complaint addresses include 6931 S Campbell Ave, followed by 1548 W Edgewater Ave, and 6225 N Kenmore Ave (fig. 6).
- From 2014 to 2017, there was an increase in the number of rat complaints with a surge in 2016 (fig. 7).
The entire study is HERE.
The results are consistent with the dismal conditons in other large Democrat-controlled cities throughout the nation that can only be described as shitholes.
Congratulations Mayor Rahm Emanuel!