House Democrats have cooled their jets on getting special counsel Robert Meuller under oath for testimony that would likely be the biggest media circus since the infamous O.J. Simpson trial.
There was a great sadness on the left when the sainted Mueller failed to deliver the smoking gun “evidence” of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election and many members of the so-called resistance have expressed the sentiment that they were betrayed by a man who they saw as their avenging angel.
Additionally, the failure of the Mueller report to deliver the goods spawned another conspiracy theory that Attorney General William Barr was engaged in a coverup and that the only way to set things right was to get Mueller before the committee to tell his own story.
However, despite the initial rush to get Mueller on record, his appearance before Jerrold Nadler’s House Judiciary Committee continues to be delayed, leaving many to wonder if it is going to happen at all.
The latest update comes from “Fat Jerry” who divulged the news to the Democrat-friendly Beltway propaganda rag, Politico, that Mueller Time has now been postponed until at least June and maybe never.
House Democrats are backing away from plans to hold a blockbuster hearing this month with Robert Mueller after talks stalled out with the special counsel and his representativeshttps://t.co/sCuVpuXBI2
— POLITICO (@politico) May 18, 2019
House Democrats are backing away from plans to hold a blockbuster hearing this month with Robert Mueller after talks stalled out with the special counsel and his representatives.
Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) and a senior Democratic committee aide told Politico on Friday that there’s no Mueller hearing planned for next week, though that could also change at a moment’s notice if the special counsel said he’s ready to testify.
“I would assume not,” Nadler replied when asked whether Mueller would be appearing before the upcoming Memorial Day recess, which starts next Friday.
A Judiciary staffer later added, “Mueller could always call us and say, ‘The heck with it, I want to come in Wednesday,’ and we would make time. But at the moment, no Mueller planned for next week.”
With control of the Justice Department now back in qualified hands under the stewardship of AG Barr, Nadler and his fellow Democrats likely understand that bringing in Mueller has the potential to backfire catastrophically if Republican committee members are allowed to turn the tables by grilling the inquisitor.
The conduct of Mueller’s partisan witch hunt and the omissions of serious avenues of investigation into the origins of the discredited Steele dossier among other matters could very well end up creating a major public relations debacle for Nadler and others who stand to be publicly humiliated on national television if the right questions are posed.
Robert Mueller is a loose cannon and may just blow through any presidential objection, as he has already shown a willingness to defy his boss. That’s great news.https://t.co/7QgvA4yHe4
— The Federalist (@FDRLST) May 14, 2019
A list of questions for the special counsel was recently published by The Federalist including:
- Your report seems to indicate that you could not corroborate the Christopher Steele dossier. What steps did you take to review Steele’s source material?
- Public reports indicate that your number two, Andrew Weissmann, received briefings from Justice Department (DOJ) official Bruce Ohr regarding the Trump investigation as early as the summer of 2016. When did you and Weissmann first discuss the possibility of Russian interference in the 2016 election?
- Did you authorize any contact with the media by any member of the special counsel staff (including investigators)?
- How did the Washington Post obtain a copy of your March 17 letter to Attorney General William Barr, in which you objected to his summary of the bottom-line conclusions of your report?
- And many more that Mueller could be faced with, any of which could blow his whole sham investigation to Kingdom Come.
- Did any of the members of the special counsel team seek or were they provided an ethics opinion regarding any conflicts of interest?
Meanwhile, Trump just keeps on taunting the Democrats who have blundered into their own trap and now have no escape strategy.
Why are the Democrats not looking into all of the crimes committed by Crooked Hillary and the phony Russia Investigation? They would get back their credibility. Jerry Nadler, Schiff, would have a whole new future open to them. Perhaps they could even run for President!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 20, 2019
Chances are that Nadler and his accomplices will continue to stall; what other choice do they have?