In a truly unfortunate story, a Connecticut woman is lucky to be alive after misidentifying a “candle” that she found in her basement.
The 30-year-old from Bridgeport was trying to get some light during a power outage last week after a trip to the local Home Depot ended in frustration: it was closed.
On returning home, she remembered that when she had purchased the home, the previous owner had left behind a box of “candles” and this seemed to be the opportune time to break them out.
It was only after lighting one that she discovered too late that it was an explosive that has been described as both a quarter of a stick of dynamite as well as an M-1000 firework which blew up in her hand, severely injuring her and likely traumatizing the entire family.
— MagaNewsReport (@MagaNewsReport) September 15, 2018
Via New York ABC affiliate WABC-7 Eyewitness News, “Connecticut woman blows off fingers after mistaking dynamite for candle”:
A woman was seriously injured in Connecticut after authorities say she mistook a quarter stick of dynamite for a candle.
The Bridgeport Fire Marshal’s Office has concluded its initial investigation and is calling the incident a tragic accident.
Officials say the family’s Lindley Street home lost power as a result of thunderstorms Thursday night, and after a trip to a closed Home Depot to purchase emergency lighting, the family remembered what they believed to be candles left in the basement of the home by the previous residents.
The victim, who is approximately 30 years old and a married mother of two, attempted to light one of the “candles.” Instead, it was a quarter stick of dynamite, which is actually an M-1000 firework.
“They brought them upstairs,” Bridgeport Fire Chief Richard Thode said. “There were two. She lit one, went to move it, and it exploded.”
She suffered severe injuries to one of her hands, including the potential loss of several fingers. She also suffered serious injuries to her face.
She was taken to Bridgeport Hospital before being transferred to Yale New Haven Hospital.
Better stock up on battery-powered alternative lighting sources and stay the hell away from mysterious “candles” although this is a helluva tough way to learn that lesson.